Thursday, August 14, 2008

Ultra Conservative Vegan


Putting your money where your mouth is, has never been so crucial.  It does not matter wether or not you believe in global warming or to what degree you care about Animal rights issues.  Something that most of us do care about is our hard earned money and the causes we support with it. 
 
For example, you probably would not knowingly donate your money to an organization that was poisoning ground water, contributing to large scale deforestation of the Amazon and whose criminal counts included animal cruelty, bribery, destroying records, fraud and distributing contaminated foods to your neighborhood grocery and schools.  Most people would be appaled and would see to it that this organization never receive any of thier valuable income ever again. 
 
Well, these organizations do exist and continue to grow because many of us support them financially.  This is not some wacky conspiracy theory or a bias opinion.  Factory Farming practices are not sustainable and they are a major stress on our planet.  I am not trying to promote "Saving the Planet," because the planet will evolve and survive almost anything!  On the flip side, we the humans should be very concerned about the future of our living space (Earth) and its countless gifts that enable us to thrive, reproduce and play!  
 
Your money makes the world go 'round!  Your purchases dictate our future.  Where ever the demands of the consumers lie, industry follows.  We can see it now, with all the big corporations jumping on the "Eco-Green" bandwagon.  They are following the spending trends of the everyday people. 
 
Every product has a history and a future. Every commodity is manufactured, packaged, shipped and stored. Familiarizing ourselves with the proccesses, the effects of these proccesses, weighing out the pros and cons will create nations of empowered consumers.  Empowered consumers have the strength to create a new world. 
 
I am not suggesting that everyone go vegan, join PETA and begin riding a bicycle to work tommorow.  What I am suggesting is that you take time to educate yourself, think before you $pend, reasess your values and decide what type of world you wish to see.          
 

Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.  ~Albert Einstein

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had another very tasty meal last night! I love the menu and the staff :)

Scott D

Chef Sabrina said...

thanks scott, we love the menu and you too! We do try to keep the food at the level we would want it to be if we were dining at Grass Root. :)

Anonymous said...

Doing what feels right can be tough but you get to the point where you have no choice. I recently dropped out of a tampa bay yoga teacher training program because the teacher called Obama the "n" word in front of an all white crowd. I took my money and left and they will never get a penny of my money again. I just had no option even though it made a small impact. We all have our causes and money is a way to bring about change. Keep at it!

Mari said...

I just ate at the Tampa location for the first time tonight and discovered you now have a place in Lakeland within WALKING distance of my house! I'm so excited. Spencer hooked me up with lots of cards to pass around and I plan on making you at least a weekly stop!

marianne said...

I have been a vegetarian for 13 years. Your food is creative and delicious. I look forward to treating my friends and family soon. I hope Lakeland embraces "GRASS ROOT"

Heather K said...

I wanted to submit the new Lakeland location for Grass Root at http://www.happycow.net/submitrestaurant.php but I need a contact email. Everyone ought to know about GR, the food is awesome! :D

Anonymous said...

I am so on the same page with you! Slowly making changes & dragging my family with me. :D I hope I can get them to Grassroot sometime, glad you guys are here! We back-to-reality folks need to stand together & BE SEEN. FYI, I'm a physician & you'll be pleasantly surprised at how many of us have seen the light. :) We are pushing hard for real NUTRITION education at our med school and continuing education conferences.

And you are RIGHT. The issue is not saving the planet--Earth will balance herself regardless of whether it means balancing US right off her face! We can either evolve to survive, or follow our dead end to our extinction. I choose to LIVE!