Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Our Biodegradables

I was serving a table and the gentleman request his chioces and then asked me about our biodegradables and I proudly stated that they are made from corn fiber by a fair trade supporter and that restaurants can produce alot of garbage, but that we really minimize our drain on Planet Earth as much as we can and so on. Well, he was dining in with a young woman and he said that they liked the biodegradables and could I serve their water in them. I said I know they are nice, but the whole waste thing and that is the whole point of the bio's etc and I would be happy to serve the water in our new blue glasses that we buy espically for water. He went on to say that he basically is the customer, and the customer is always right and he demands his water in a bio to go cup even if he is dining in! What should I do at this point??

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm... that's a tough one. I would say give it to him in the bio to go cup if he wants it that bad, especially if he would be willing to argue over it. Ugh, even though I personally think he should drink it out of glass(amazing blue glasses at that). That would upset me for a customer to "demand" something like that. What did you end up doing?

Matthew Wengerd said...

I don't believe the customer is always right. If you have a well-informed, carefully constructed policy, enforcing it, while unpleasant, is your right.

I hear you'll be opening a location in Lakeland; where will it be?

Anonymous said...

He is the customer, but this is your business (baby). You have the opportunity to generate massive change in people's lives and consciousness and I support your decision to be as environmental as possible, without compromise, in this space you place all your time, money and energy.

Customers are generally pretty cool. People are generally pretty cool. A few complainers are not need for reconsideration. They are just ripe for opening up themselves. When costumers know the rules and that you stand behind your ideals, they follow them too, if even only when they are in your space.

You can do it. Thank you for doing it.

Chef Sabrina said...

Thanks everyone, to be honest I love all of your feedback, thanks. I am also a customer but I am a reasonable person that is living this lifestyle, not just talking to hear the sound of my own voice.

Chef Sabrina said...

Oh yeah, I had someone bring him the water the way we always serve it and he said he didnt want it and he left. I said good bye and it was over :( :)

Xial said...

Sabrina, my mantra for people interactions has been "They're not always right."

This site I linked to proves it. :)